Fried Green Tomato Tacos
When the frost is coming and those last few tomatoes in your garden aren’t red yet, it’s time to pick those suckers. Put them inside on a windowsill safe from the frost. If they stay green, there’s still a way to honor those homegrown tomatoes.
Makes 2 Servings. 20 min prep and cooking.
- 2-3 mid size green tomatoes
- ½ cup vegan bread crumbs
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup unsweetened soymilk or any other unsweetened nondairy milk
- 1 tsp ground flax seed (optional)
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil or 3 tbsp vegetable broth for frying
- 3-4 sliced button mushrooms (optional)
- 4-6 taco size corn tortillas / soft tacos
- ½ cup shredded cabbage or lettuce
- hot sauce (optional)
- Cut the tomatoes into circles
- Pour nondairy milk into a flat-bottomed bowl big enough for a tomato ring to rest in. Add a teaspoon of cornstarch and a teaspoon of ground flax (optional) and whisk with a fork.
- Pour bread crumbs onto a plate
- Pour flour onto a small plate
- On low-mid heat, warm up the oil in a flat bottomed pan
- Cover both sides of each tomato round in the flour, then dunk in the nondairy milk mixture, and them coat them with bread crumbs. Don’t worry if the green tomatoes are not completely covered in bread crumbs. These are low-key fried green tomatoes.
- Add the coated tomatoes to the hot frying pan. Fry for about 5 min
- Add mushrooms for 3 min or just keep frying the tomatoes
- Warm up 4-6 corn tortillas on a tortilla warmer on the stove, toaster oven, or wrapped in foil in the stove on at 250 degrees
- When the tomatoes are softened, add a pinch of salt, toss and turn off the heat
- Top the warmed tortillas with the tomatoes and shredded lettuce or cabbage and enjoy