Potato Salad with Apples Inspired by Badriyah of Belgium
Apples add a sweet surprising crunch to this vegan potato salad inspired by the lovely belly dancer Badriyah of Belgium and the Czech Republic. Badriyah specializes in Golden Era Belly Dance.
- 8-10 medium size potatoes peeled and cut into bite-size cubes (about 6 cups of cooked potatoes)
- 1/2 cup raw unsalted cashews
- 1/4 cup water
- Juice from 1 fresh lemon
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 Tbsp agave
- 1 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 raw apple diced
- 4-6 stalks of celery diced
- 1/2 a carrot shredded
- Bring enough water to cover the potatoes to a boil and add the potatoes and cook just until a fork slides in the potato chunks easily. About 15 minutes. Do not over cook because then the potatoes will become mushy.
- In a food processor, combine the cashews, water and lemon juice. Then add salt, agave, and nutritional yeast until the mixture becomes a sauce.
- After draining the cooked potatoes, mix them in a bowl with the celery, apple and carrot. Add the sauce and toss until the potatoes are evenly coated. This salad can be served immediately, and it will also last in the fridge for days to enjoy.