Yummy Yucca Tortilla Taco
OMG I had no idea that cassava flour makes fantastically easy home-made gluten-free tortillas! The dough is even easier to work with than masa (corn) flour and the tortillas are soft and foldable. So good. Any you can put anything you like inside. You can make them into 6 inch gluten free pizzas.
For some reason the recipe on the package never worked out for me. But here it is if you want to try it!
(From Otto’s Cassava Flour)
Here’s the recipe that works for me:
Prep and cook time 20 min. 3-4 servings (about 12 tacos)
- 2 1/2 cups yucca / cassava flour
- 3 cups of pretty warm water
- 1 Tbs sea salt
- 1/8 cup olive oil
- 1 cup lettuce
- 1 sliced tomato
- 1/2 a cucumber sliced
- sauerkraut to taste
- 1 vegan sausage or tofu khan or beans
- Whisk or mix together the flour and salt. Pour in the oil and water and combine until it becomes a slightly sticky but easy-to-work-with dough.
- Cut the long side of a thin clean plastic bag (not a used grocery bag, because that might not be so clean. A bread bag or produce bag should work) so that you can roll a 6 inch wide tortilla sandwiched in plastic and then peel it out of the plastic. You can roll it out with a pint glass or rolling pin.
- Pinch off dough and use your hands to roll it into until you have a ball about the size of a golf ball, and one by one flatten each dough ball in in the plastic bag. Thin enough to cook through quickly, but not so thin that you can’t peel it out of the bag without it breaking.
- On a bare heated griddle or nonstick frying pan, cook as many tortillas as you can fit with the 6 inch tortillas directly touching the surface of the griddle. When the bottom is slightly brown, flip them. Add the taco toppings/filling and enjoy!