Protein-Packed Savory Pancakes with Black Beans
Kale, carrots and mushrooms make these pancakes a great breakfast or dinner. These are not the heavy overly-sweet diner pancakes that leave you feeling sleepy. They are inspired by Korean scallion pancakes.
Here’s a recipe for the Korean Style Pancakes that inspired this recipe.
For about twelve 5 inch pancakes (enough pancakes to make 2 adults and one toddler happy)
- 1/4 cup ground flax & 3/4 cup water mixed together (egg replacer)
- 3/4 cup flour (mix of whole wheat and unbleached all purpose is fine)
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1 + 1/4 cups water more
- 1 tsp umeboshi vinegar
- 1 Tbsp agave nectar
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1/2 cup cooked brown rice
- 1/2 cup cooked black beans
- 1/3 cup shredded carrot
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced mushrooms (about 2 criminis)
- 1/3 cup cooked kale or raw spinach
- chopped green onions or scallions to taste
- Heat up a nonstick pan or get ready to use enough sesame oil to coat the pan. We use the griddle on our gas stove.
- Start at the top of the ingredient list above and add one ingredient at a time and mix
- Pour the batter in the hot pan. Use 1/3 cup to scoop and pour batter and the pancakes will be a size that is easy to flip
- Wait a few minutes until it’s golden brown on the bottom and flip
- Wait a few more minutes and serve