Steamed Asparagus Spears with Sesame Seeds
Asparagus is the favorite vegetable of fusion dancer Danielle Hutton of NYC. This simple vegan asparagus recipe showcases the vibrant green color and perfect flavor of steamed asparagus by just adding a sprinkle of contrasting white sesame seeds.
Tip for choosing asparagus: your thumbnail should slide right into the flesh in the middle of the cut end. If it does not, cut off more of the ends or choose a fresher bunch of asparagus.
- A handfull or more of asparagus
- Sesame seeds (I prefer toasted, unhulled white sesame seeds)
- Trim woody ends off of the asparagus
- Boil about 1 inch of water in the bottom of a flat bottom pan big enough to accomodate the asparagus spears
- Add the asparagus and steam for 3-5 minutes. A brief steam will keep the vibrant green color
- Sprinkle with toasted unhulled white sesame seeds