Cashew Kale and Chickpea Macaroni and Cheese (Vegan, Oil Free, Gluten-free)
This colorful healthy mac and cheese will please your eyes as well as your palette. Nutritional yeast and cashews make it rich and creamy even when it’s oil-free.
Isabella Salimpour featured nutritional yeast as a delicious vegan food in episode #41 of the belly dance podcast A Little Lighter.
- 1 cup of kale leaves (stemmed)
- 16 oz brown rice pasta (elbows, fusilli, whatever you have 🙂
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 Tbps white balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp agave
- 1 whole lemon (the juice)
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 diced tomato
- 1 cup cooked chickpeas
- 1 shredded carrot
- Boil enough water to cook the pasta. Throw the kale leaves in for 3-5 minutes and scoop them back out and plunge into cold water.
- Cook the pasta in the same boiling water according to the instructions
- In a blender or food processor, combine the cashews, water, balsamic, agave, lemon juice, nutritional yeast and salt until saucy.
- When the pasta is done cooking, strain it and toss it with the cheesy cashew sauce until it is coated with sauce
- Add the tomato, chickpeas, carrot and kale on top or toss it in
And Maelle featured chickpeas in episode #49!